Saturday, October 2, 2010

Funding Education

I plan to go to Victor Valley College for two years to get my Associates degree before transferring to a four year college where I will complete my education. In order to accomplish this, I have been researching different scholarships and gathering the information needed to apply for FAFSA.

Although I have not applied for any scholarships as of yet, I am researching scholarships in creative writing, such as the Association of Writers and Writing Programs, or APW. This program allows people to enter works of poetry, short fiction, nonfiction and novels. The awards for poetry and short fiction is five thousand dollars each. The reward for the nonfiction and novels is two thousand for each. I am still researching this opportunity and am not completely sure that I am eligible to enter. Another scholarship opportunity I am looking at is the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers.

This program offers scholarships in areas such as drawing, architecture and writing. In order to be eligible a contestant must be from seventh to twelfth grade, and be enroled in a public or private school, or be in an after school or home school program. They must also be a citizen of the United States or California, or be enrolled in an American School abroad. A couple of the scholarships offered are for the creativity and citizenship: Art for social change, which is for one thousand dollars, offered to three people, and the New York Life Award, which will be given to six winners with a reward of one thousand dollars.

I am also going to try to apply for financial aid, and continue to search for scholarships offered by different colleges and programs. Once I go to college I am going to use the money from FAFSA and the scholarships I am eligible for to pay for Victor Valley College and a four year college.

No comments: